multiple gateways

Taking care of your Linux box.
osama
Havaldaar

multiple gateways

Post by osama »

Hello,

I want to have a setup like i want 2 gateways on same LAN ; both gateways are internet enabled and serve Internet to private LAN. Is there any option like i setup secondary gateway for a client just like we mention secondary DNS. If its not possible then please suggest a solution is one gateway goes down the client automatically switch to other gateway.

I use Linux box with named, DHCP and squid on one gateways and second gateway is simply a DSL modem.
eternal peace
Naik

Post by eternal peace »

hail to linux!!!
osama
Havaldaar

Post by osama »

thats for multiple gateways behind linux box. I have a situation where multiple gateways in ONE LAN. One gateway is Linux box and other is a DSL modem.
Last edited by osama on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eternal peace
Naik

Post by eternal peace »

I can't understand the scenario, can you be more elaborate on this?
hail to linux!!!
osama
Havaldaar

Post by osama »

what more information u need?
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

can you draw a simple diagram?
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
osama
Havaldaar

Post by osama »

---- linux box (Primary gateway) ---(ISP1)
network---|
----DSL Modem/router (secondary gateway) ----(ISP2)

I want both of them serve internet simultanuously. If primary gateway goes down traffic should transfer to secondary gateway. A minor delay in traffic is acceptable.
osama
Havaldaar

Post by osama »

A more enhanced diagram.

(ISP1) linux box (Primary gateway) <-------> Private Network <------->DSL Modem/router (secondary gateway) ----(ISP2)
eternal peace
Naik

Post by eternal peace »

Another thing i want to know, how's your DSL modem configured, i mean is your DSL modem doing NAT or is it in bridge mode and you assign fixed live IP directly to your system to access internet through DSL modem.

As your modem is connected on the same LAN as ur linux box then when u'll change the gw of ur linux box to the IP of the DSL modem then all the traffic of your linux box will go through the DSL modem. So, you'll have to do the config for multiple gw on ur linux box.

if u still can't figure out the solution then just let me know the IPs of both gateways and i'll provide u the solution.
hail to linux!!!
osama
Havaldaar

Post by osama »

I want some sort of load balancing between them through linux box when both r up. Once Linux box goes down modem should tackle entire traffic. I have not yet implemengted anything and wants a solution or a guideline.
osama
Havaldaar

Post by osama »

helllo,
I have seen in windows that we can manually give multiple gateways and multiple IPs so manually its possible to switch between gateways. For automation purpose I found an option in dhcp that can add a route in client to other gateway. That is "option static-routes" command. But I am still stuck with it as it adds a route with 255.255.255.255 subnet at cleint end. Cant figure it out how it will work when one goes down.
x2oxen
Major General

Post by x2oxen »

Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
http://usmanpk.com