FMCOBOL

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
shakirz1
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

FMCOBOL

Post by shakirz1 »

I need FMCOBOL for linux, anyone can send me link to download that cobol version?
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

if you google for "fmcobol" you get one link: this post.

there's no such product.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
mahin_pk
Site Admin

COBOL on Linux

Post by mahin_pk »

Will you kindly re-confirm what it is MF COBOL [ Micro Focus COBOL ] or RM COBOL [ Ryan McFarland COBOL ] and what you want to do with it? Describe your problem only then any one can help / guide you.

Assuming you have migration job [ forced due to Hardware obsolescence ? ] then Debian and RH are mostly used. Final choice will depend upon what you intend to do, unless you provide details no one can assist you to make right choice.

If you know some one then check out Sui Southern Data Center [ if still working, not sure ] and ask for Mr Shehryar or Mr Riaz, both are good source for COBOL related stuff.

Hope this helps!

Tariq.
shakirz1

Post by shakirz1 »

Tariq Bhai, you are right its migration job, and I want to use RH for it.

and its MF Cobol, I do not have any link from where I can download its installation media.

Kindly give me any contact of Mr. Shehryar or Mr. Riza so I will contact them to complete this job.
mahin_pk
Site Admin

COBOL on Linux

Post by mahin_pk »

I do not have the contact for either of them beside I think Sui Southern had RM COBOL but not sure.

I think MF did [ long time ago ] provided tools for migration on Linux but that was for IBM and HP, never read about it on RH [ that could be as I have not been looking for it ] still you can search / ask for it. I think people at Stats Department [ SMCHS - beside FTC building ] may have faced this problem ask them, perhaps they can help [ NO I do not have a contact number for you to call ].

MF COBOL is commercial product and its migration to newer Hardware / OS is no problem except that one need to spend money. Those looking to save money and not willing to share details for others to learn need to spend time with Google :).

Tariq.
shakirz1

Post by shakirz1 »

I hv got email address of Mr. Riaz Salam from International Cobol Programmer List.

As soon as I will get any hint from him, I will inform you.
mahin_pk
Site Admin

Post by mahin_pk »

Thanks! Post it here so that any one else faced with similar problem could benefit from it.

Regards,

Tariq.