Help Me

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
xscitech
Lance Naik

Help Me

Post by xscitech »

Assalam Alikum,

I m new here. i'ev purcahsed PI just to learn Linux & i'ev 2 Q i've branded system intel board, P1 233 Mhz, 128 MB RAM, 4.1 GB hardisk and plug n play sound & VGA i wanna ask is this enogh for radhat linux 7 will it run smoothly ? i know linux 9 may be too heavy for this system & my 2nd Q is where can i get notes to install linux in this system hope sombody help me soon

ABOUT THIS SITE:

i have much experince of Microsoft platforms but it's just like "you all get but nothing" we really appreciate u pplz doing just trmendous job to promoting linux in Pakistan our rival India giving no. of pplz of linux admins in foregin company's but we still waiting to accept this challenge we really need to research on linux if it's not possible so atleast we can start producing linux administrator to our country so our gov. & local compnaies start using linux instead of waiting our business to courrpt by Microsoft.

keep going guyz we really need u,

tc
Allah Hafiz
outstream
Naib Subedar

Post by outstream »

AoA

yeah i think its ok. I have read in some documentations about linux that ppl have installed it even with 4mb ram.

More i would suggest u to grab a real book instead of ebook or online documentation. in my opinion its always hard to read online books or documentation on ur computer screen for hours.There are lots of books on rh7 available in market on old books stores and places like that. well u can get orginial one too, if u dont want a pirated copy from places like Van Guard etc but that`ll be a hell lot of burden on ur pocket. so just step outside in market and search for one. check the contents keenly and if u think u understand what ever is written in it, buy it.

Incase if u want an online book or documentation, u may get it from

www.redhat.com
www.tldp.org

Good Luck!
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

Are you only installing linux on your box. If so , you can easily get rh 9.0 on it. (Actually, it will be slow on a 233mhz, but unless you can give up the latest kde and gnome environments you will have the same issue even if you use Debian/Slackware, Mandrake,etc.)
mahin
Major

Installing Latest Linux Distro on Old Machines

Post by mahin »

If you are new to Linux and want to learn then go for latest version of any Distro you want to try.

In your case as you have 586 machine while making choice of Distro look for the processor it is optimized. Easiest way to check that is to go to http://www.distrowatch.com and click at the Distro name in the list in right side. This will open the page containing info [ if available ] about it.

Having said that if you want to install latest RH [ new name Fedora ] on old machine go check http://www.rule-proj.org

Even with all this you may consider taking a look at Vector Linux 3.2 SOHO [ Vector 4.0 SOHO will come in next few weeks ] , which are GUI version based upon Slackware and less demanding in terms of resources yet you have the latest packages.

There are other options but you have to read and decide what you want to do with your computer. Remember there are 100+ active Distro and each has its own strong points.

Your question about notes for installing Linux may I suggest that you download following:

www.icon.co.za/~psheer/rute-home.html

I would recommend that you print this book rather buying some thing, this is very, very good book and you are allowed to keep soft copy or print hard copy for your own use.

May I suggest that if you can afford then buy another Hard Disk as your is not too big and modern packages tend to take more space. On other hard disk you can keep your data.

A request in end. If you want to learn then read, read the forum and learn how to search not that we do not want to help you or want to make things hard but we want you to learn. Please do post when ever you have problem .
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Re: Installing Latest Linux Distro on Old Machines

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Well Answered.
mahin wrote:If you are new to Linux and want to learn then go for latest version of any Distro you want to try.

In your case as you have 586 machine while making choice of Distro look for the processor it is optimized. Easiest way to check that is to go to http://www.distrowatch.com and click at the Distro name in the list in right side. This will open the page containing info [ if available ] about it.

Having said that if you want to install latest RH [ new name Fedora ] on old machine go check http://www.rule-proj.org

Even with all this you may consider taking a look at Vector Linux 3.2 SOHO [ Vector 4.0 SOHO will come in next few weeks ] , which are GUI version based upon Slackware and less demanding in terms of resources yet you have the latest packages.

There are other options but you have to read and decide what you want to do with your computer. Remember there are 100+ active Distro and each has its own strong points.

Your question about notes for installing Linux may I suggest that you download following:

www.icon.co.za/~psheer/rute-home.html

I would recommend that you print this book rather buying some thing, this is very, very good book and you are allowed to keep soft copy or print hard copy for your own use.

May I suggest that if you can afford then buy another Hard Disk as your is not too big and modern packages tend to take more space. On other hard disk you can keep your data.

A request in end. If you want to learn then read, read the forum and learn how to search not that we do not want to help you or want to make things hard but we want you to learn. Please do post when ever you have problem .
Linux for Life!
arpanet
Naik

Post by arpanet »

ADAB..
outstream wrote:AoA

yeah i think its ok. I have read in some documentations about linux that ppl have installed it even with 4mb ram.

More i would suggest u to grab a real book instead of ebook or online documentation. in my opinion its always hard to read online books or documentation on ur computer screen for hours.There are lots of books on rh7 available in market on old books stores and places like that. well u can get orginial one too, if u dont want a pirated copy from places like Van Guard etc but that`ll be a hell lot of burden on ur pocket. so just step outside in market and search for one. check the contents keenly and if u think u understand what ever is written in it, buy it.

Incase if u want an online book or documentation, u may get it from

www.redhat.com
www.tldp.org

Good Luck!

http://tstsite.com/books/books.htm

RAB RAKAHA
{s7r1k3r}
Be MiNe.
xscitech
Lance Naik

Thanx Everone

Post by xscitech »

Assalam Alikum,

Thanx to everyone helping me out from here.Now I decided to install RH 7 RH 9 may be to heavy for this machine. so I just wanna know where i can find RH 7 installation step by step guide its my first attempt so i wana know each step which i m going to take like:

* why we create swap partion.
* hadware configuraion.
* abt kernel etc

thanx again hope u very soon

tc

XSciTech
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Re: Thanx Everone

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,
xscitech wrote:Assalam Alikum,

Thanx to everyone helping me out from here.Now I decided to install RH 7 RH 9 may be to heavy for this machine. so I just wanna know where i can find RH 7 installation step by step guide its my first attempt so i wana know each step which i m going to take like:

* why we create swap partion.
* hadware configuraion.
* abt kernel etc

thanx again hope u very soon

tc

XSciTech
Insert RH 7 CD in the Drive,
boot from the CDROM and
then enter and
then next
next
next :lol:

as far as parition is concern... create two partitions

:idea: Root partition named /... (Hub of all user partitions like mycomputer in Windows), normally as large u want u'r partition is but keep in mind keep some space on u'r hard disk for swap partition...
:idea: Swap parition as name tells... for swaping data on temporarly basis during runtime, user can't work on swap only Kernel do, normally it is double the RAM of u'r PC... e.g. 128 MB RAM = 256 MB SWAP Partition on hard disk (recommended)

Click here to see detail about Partitioning in Linux

and don't bother about Kernel and Hardware configuration i hope no problem comes... if any configuration problem comes... post here on the forum... ppl are here to help u...
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
------------------------------------
if