availability of linux distros through PLUC

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
nafri
Lance Naik

availability of linux distros through PLUC

Post by nafri »

[this message was posted on the PLUC mailing list on 21 april 2003. so far, there has been no reply :( hope that forum is more active...]

dear all,

yesterday [20 apirl 2003] i attended my first meeting of PLUC (pakistan linux users' community). one of the issues that came up was that of downloading ISO images of linux distros for wider dissemination. as all of us know that it is not feasible to download a full-fledged linux distro (multiple CDs x around 700 MB ISO) on a dial-up internet connection.

i wrote to tee emm of supernet (he is also on the PLUC list) for help as he has access to a faster connection. he was kind enough to offer help by
downloading and providing burnt master CDs to PLUC.

i believe that Red Hat 9 is available in karachi with a couple of PLUC members. I guess that Mandrake 9.1 and SuSE 8.2 are *not* available in karachi. and then, there was some interest in the single-CD Knoppix
(which is a live distro); latest version of which is 3.2. [there are a zillion other distros which are worth exploring and are equally interesting; see e.g. http://www.distrowatch.com/ ]

before we ask tee emm to download one or two distros, we should prioritise on the basis of our preferences and needs. to me, most would like to have at least two distros. but which distros?

send your opinion asap!

irfan
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum,

Hmm.... Sorry I couldn't make it this time for the meeting. Anyway welcome !!!

In my view .... :-)

RedHat
Mandrake
Debian

Regards,

-Meraj
faisal892
Lance Naik

Mandrake and Debian

Post by faisal892 »

Hi
Whatever you choose but I think Mandrake and Debian are must choices.
Thanks
Faisal.
dayDreamer
Cadet

Post by dayDreamer »

Hello, Well on 20th, I was in that area at 3:30 and kept searching for
4 E1/6 for 45 minutes but no one could could give me any reasonable directions and I was not able to make to the meeting :( ... Anyway better luck next time.

Downloading Linux distros is a very important decision because it is a considerable investment in the form of bandwidth, computing time and CD burning. The decision should me made on merit. In my humble opinion
(now on IMHO), the choice should be

1- RedHat 's (for for beginners and lower level gurus)
2- Mandrake 's (for above middle level gurus)
3- Debian 's (for top of the line gurus)

As far as other interesting stuff is concerned, like Knoppix, LFS, Gentoo, and unix flavors (Free,Open,NET BSDs) they can be made available through others means like CD imports, loan requests, Direct contact with vendors if possible and the ex-pakistan students :wink: .

Waiting for the comments/opinions
Take Care
Not Gold but only Men can make
A nation great and strong
Men who, for truth and honour's sake
Stand fast and suffer long