linux as recovery os on eeepc

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
saquib_javed
Naib Subedar

linux as recovery os on eeepc

Post by saquib_javed »

Hi

Recently I bought Asus eeePC 1005p which is with m$ windows 7 starter edition

my partition layout was

Code: Select all

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  primary  |                  extended                           |      primary       |   primary   |
| partition |              logical partitions                     |     partition      |  partition  |
|   boot    |                                                     |                    |             |
|   ntfs    |                    ntfs                             |      fat 32 (h)    |     efi     |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|           |                                                     |                    |             |
| m$ win7   |                                                     |   recovery image   |             |
|    c:     |                       d:                            |                    |             |
[/size]

and then using different cloning and disk imaging utilities i changed it to

|  primary  |      primary       |   primary   |                  extended                           |
| partition |     partition      |  partition  |              logical partitions                     |
|   boot    |                    |             |                                                     |
|   ntfs    |      fat 32 (h)    |     efi     |                    ntfs                             |
|           |                    |             |         |          |          |          |          |
| m$ win7   |   recovery image   |             |    d:   |    e:    |    f:    |     g:   |   h:     |
|    c:     |                    |             |         |          |          |          |          |
aahhh finally i got something manageable (atleast for me :D)

so now when i want to run recovery i press F9 at system start up (a nice feature in netbooks donno abt other brands)

then the hidden fat 32 partition is made active and is booted some chopped down version of windows or some thing as starts to recover the c: from the image that is available

it uses some thing like ImageX tool for windows and restores the c: drive

and before rebooting it makes the c: as active boot partition again and win7 is back again after confiuring things

so what i wanted that i wanted to use linux (any distro for netbook) with the f9 recovery thingy

i downloaded slax and made a bootable slax usb and booted it on my netbook

mounted my fat 32 hidden partition under slax and deleted all existing image recovery files

made it active boot partition and installed slax on it using the same script that is provided with slax

so it looks like as follows

|  primary  |      primary       |   primary   |                  extended                           |
| partition |     partition      |  partition  |              logical partitions                     |
|           |        boot        |             |                                                     |
|   ntfs    |      fat 32 (h)    |     efi     |                    ntfs                             |
|           |                    |             |         |          |          |          |          |
| m$ win7   |        slax        |             |   d:    |    e:    |    f:    |    g:    |    h:    |
|    c:     |                    |             |         |          |          |          |          |
unmounted the partition and rebooted the system

since my active boot partition is now my hiddent fat32 partition that contains the boot record of slax so slax booted normally

so i again marked my c: as an active boot partition to boot m$ win as normally

|   boot    |                    |             |                                                     |
| m$ win7   |        slax        |             |    d:   |    e:    |    f:    |    g:    |    h:    |
and reboot system and i am again back to the m$ system

now here is the PROBLEM i rebooted system and pressed F9 at system startup

this time hardisk led blinked too long

and again i booted into m$ :( :(

what i was expecting that F9 thing looks for efi and efi is a special kind of thing that make my hidden fat 32 to boot so it should be booting the slax instead of m$ again

any ideas hints ......
Use Linux and feel Free.
OR
Feel free to use Linux. ;)