Games forum

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.

Should linuxpakistan.net start a Gaming forum?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 18

amkali
Lance Naik

Games forum

Post by amkali »

Salaamz

I am suggesting the guys here to start another forum discussing Linux Gaming ... I mean linux pakistan is gr8 it have Programming forum , installation , gaming and even Gup shup but it misses Games forum ....

I am a software programmer and love to play games .... nearly every one does and we have some issues regarding gaming on linux .... there are many sites which discuss the games but not any one to represent it from Pakistan or no one is out there catering the special needs of the Pakistani games users ......

secondly this is maybe the only thing for which i have to consult other forums ..... every thing elso is super on linuxpakistan.net

So guys I am suggesting a poll who thinx that there should be a games forum added here on linuxpakistan.net

So polls away guys

barlas
Naib Subedar

Post by barlas »

Salaam!

Your idea is not bad but the problem is that there are not many posts about games (I think i have only seen one or two threads about games here)... I don't think that there should be another forum just for two post... btw if the situation changes i think then it should be considered..

just my point of view

Regards
Barlas
Aqeel Zafar
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

barlas wrote:... I don't think that there should be another forum just for two post... btw if the situation changes i think then it should be considered..
Agree!
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

there aint much going on regarding gaming in linux and 99% games ppl use here are pirated. if we get a special forum for discussing that here, seeing the attitude of our ppl i am pretty sure requests for pirated/warez will come up and the forum is already littered enuff with irrelevant/misplaced posts that it cant afford(yet) such a thing.

Regards
Zaeem
amkali
Lance Naik

Post by amkali »

Salaamz

I agree that there are just one or two posts about games here on llinuxpakistan.net but that is because there is no forum for it ..... i mean for example have many querries about games but i dont discuss them here i take them to other sites .....

Secondly, many games are now playable on linux using WineX and some are also natively available ..... this totals upto more than 60 titles....

Thirdly, yes people are going to use hacked games here in pakistan but actiual working of the game and its installation on linux will not have to do anything with that ...

In the last i would suggest a link www.tuxgames.com go there and have a look and then decide...

jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

zaeemarshad wrote:there aint much going on regarding gaming in linux and 99% games ppl use here are pirated. if we get a special forum for discussing that here, seeing the attitude of our ppl i am pretty sure requests for pirated/warez will come up and the forum is already littered enuff with irrelevant/misplaced posts that it cant afford(yet) such a thing.

Regards
Zaeem
Zaeem is right, there is a resp. that LP.net has , and that includes helping to progress the adoption and education of linux in Pakistan under the PLUC, if we start having a games post it will only increase piracy and shift important time and resources from the true goal of LP.net, if you are into games do that in your own time and place. Frankly , there has already been to many questions about piracy and questions that dont exactly pertain to Linux.
jargon
umair007
Naik

Post by umair007 »

Jargon is pretty correct about piracy but we cannot forget games industry because it is the most increasing industry of it and how long can we avoid it because pakistan is already to jump in it a seminar is being planned u can go we both can but first get the registration i have applied for it. i am a self teached mapper and scripter and have more information about it at http://linuxpakistan.blogspot.com

amkali tuxgames link is not quite good the best websites for linux gaming related help and articles are

http://www.linuxgames.com
http://www.linux-gamers.net

i like these links cause it also has online servers especially configured for linux users and help on getting the best performance from linux for playing games
amkali
Lance Naik

Post by amkali »

Salaamz

Thanx umair007 ....

I suggested www.tuxgames.com for the users here to see that even the windows games are being ported to Linux now....

And btw who says that games are a waste of time .... I dont think so ....
My question is ?? What is doing something good on the computer ?? I mean something useful ?? like mr. jargon said ....

Well work is anything that can or has the potential to earn you something in the future .... and so if we measure the importance of work by that criterian then everything else is not work ....

Gaming industry is perhaps the most rapid growing industry .... and it is also the most difficult and complex piece of software that is known to man .... it tends to challange even the most competent programmers of the world ....

But the DARK SIDE of this whole story is that while every one around the whole world is cashing on the games Pakistani programmers are still discussing the importance of it .... result : 0% share in the international gaming scene. ..... and puh lease guys ..... where do u live 1960s...

One other thin as linux is stepping towards being a desktop friendly OS more and more people are going to come and ask for games .... just remember back when linux started there were not games and now many games are being made for linux and many more are being ported to linux ..... future is linux (thats wht i believe) ...... and i dont think the future is gonna be without games either ..... do u ?? ..... and in future linuxpakistan.net will have to start a gaming forum .... when the more Linux supported games are released by the end of this year (exmple: Doom3) .... so why not get the early start and be ready when the rush hours come .....

Think about it .....
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

Just asking...how many jobs do you see posted for linux admin or for LAMP developers over the web and how many for linux game developers??

Regards
Zaeem
amkali
Lance Naik

Post by amkali »

Salaamz

None ..... i see no games jobs posted ... or very few ..... but what does it prove ... does it prove that no one is gonna program games in FUTURE for linux .... this had been so because no one knew that games could be played on linux but as the hardware support is getting better and better there will be more jobs ....

Moreover, there will be more jobs that wil be posted in the future as big names like ATARI, BIOWARE and Many more are jumping in this untouched field .... everyone wants to grab this new market as Linux now stands tall as the biggest rival that microsoft has ..... so prospects are good ....

Even if there is no progress in Linux Gaming .... still when you configure a game and just make it work you have to use nearly all your wizardry just to run it on linux .... and believe me you learn faster .... and goooood ....
offcourse from the desktop point of view
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

this is ridiculuous, you want us to believe that if there was a games forum that people would be discussing the commerical prospects of it, it will only get out of hand. Franky, if you can't install a game on Linux you shouldn't be using Linux in the first place.
jargon
amkali
Lance Naik

Post by amkali »

Salaamz

Wowwwwwww man koool down ..... its just a discussion ..... every one has the right to say what they have to say ...... my opinion that you should have a games forum ..... u dont like like it i respect your opinion .....

One other thing i dont need help with installing games on linux .... i have done it very good with a lil bit of searching over the web .... but i just want that if anyone else has that problem he/she doesnt have to go searching again ..... get my point .....

And one more interesting fact that I came to know just today .... the most widely used library of functions that is used to make games now a days ..... which is used to make system independent games ... i mean multiple architecture portable games are made using OpenGL --- does it rings any bells ... OpenGL - Open Source - ..... get my point...
amkali
Lance Naik

Post by amkali »

Salaamz

Just remembered one more thing
Just asking...how many jobs do you see posted for linux admin or for LAMP developers over the web and how many for linux game developers??
Try searching for OpenGL jobs ..... you will find many

Have fun ...
umair007
Naik

Post by umair007 »

yea, amkali i have installled UT2K4 and already mapping for it u can find my maps on may sites with the name of ANON38 and if youre concerned of OPENGL it is opensource and it is best for graphics programming as far as i am concerned cause it is very easy to port from onr platform to other and remember ID SOFT, EPIC and other ppl are porting games on linux because their engines support OpENGL and john carmack is my idol the former of ID and the maker of doom. This is an interesting fact that DOOM was a shareware on its release and it was installed on more computers then win95 wow

and amkali if youre interested in joining me on the CG and game dev comference pm me k i am looking for a partner

and amkali if ure interested in Modding of quake 3 and 2 i have been modding for DDay normandy a mod of quake 2

and amkali if youre interested in game development here are some good links which i use to learn

i have been learning opengl from this site very nice http://nehe.gamedev.net

a cross platform site http://www.devmaster.net contains very nice help on 3D sound programming

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIGIPEN is the university of my dreams
amkali
Lance Naik

Post by amkali »

Salaamz

Thanx umair007 for the links ..... well i am not into moding but it is never too late to start .... I do not do game programming but i am planning to do so ... and thanx for the links .....

As far as the conference is concerned I would love to join it .... but I will make my final decision after I know the date , time , venue and registration procedure...