ofcource i am asking about linux not about mangoes
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Kernel-trap,
Salam,
kernel-trap wrote:SPEED AND PERFORMANCE
I think they are all about equally fast at the command line. It's more hardware dependent than software dependent.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
kernel-trap
Havaldaar

Post by kernel-trap »

Yes but i believe that one have to do software tunning as well to get most of hardware ..

and try to find software bottle neck is not easy :)

Regards
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

ofcource i am asking about linux not about mangoes
Well Mangoes are now out of season ;-) just kidding.

You have to be more specific IMHO for example KDE will load and work faster on same machine with Vector Linux as compared to either Mandrake or RH. Some Distro's will give better performance on older hardware [ proportionly ] so you have to define strata. What are you measuring an application or hardware with different distro's.

In any case one should use what ever one likes , any one looking for raw speed only is different ball game. We [ at least me ] do not do any real work on it , most of the time we are simply parroting :) so wait for real guru's to chip in.
kernel-trap
Havaldaar

Post by kernel-trap »

you can test OS performance by yrself and doing changes and running benchmarking tools to test under read load

some kernel patches make OS performance make difference in real

like preemptive kenrel patch i tested and was sucessful

http://www.tech9.net/rml/linux/
kernel-trap
Havaldaar

Post by kernel-trap »

Real World running fast and we must run side by side

i wish Linux Pakistan will one days aslo INSHAHALLAH
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

you can test OS performance by yrself and doing changes and running benchmarking tools to test under read load
You are right, but now we [ read me :)] are more focused upon what you call newbie, helping them which IMHO is more relevent to our mandate of promoting Linux / Open Source rather spending my limited time / resources upon some thing which helps me alone. This is just my opinion and what you said is correct as well as desired / required.

Well it takes all kind to make a real world so why not you write some article giving your views / results and post it to PLUC wiki and a link here in this thread ? :) We all can benefit from your expertise but do try to keep the language simple so that new members can also benefit from it.
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

kernel-trap without any fancy kernel hacking added, i think gentoo is the fastest distro on the planet. vector linux is better as well. what do u think about gentoo??

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
s7r1k3r
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

LFS???

Post by s7r1k3r »

Assalam-O-Alaekum!

IMHO, you can get fastest performance using LFS. Linux From Scratch. Meaning you compile every thing all the tools and the kernel on your own system. Tweak them according to your performance. Also, the distros that don't use pre-packages binaries (like rpm or deb) should be faster as they have to compile programs to source where compilation tweaks the binaries for the host architecture.
a10n3 s7r1k3r
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

s7r1k3r, gentoo is like LFS. it compiles everything according to your system and on decent hardware a 2GB install can take anywhere from 20-30 hours. the resulting is real fast. the portage system is an excellent idea to update ur system like the debian's repositories. i read u can update debian using gentoo's portages.

regards
zaeem
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,
zaeemarshad wrote:s7r1k3r, gentoo is like LFS. it compiles everything according to your system and on decent hardware a 2GB install can take anywhere from 20-30 hours. the resulting is real fast. the portage system is an excellent idea to update ur system like the debian's repositories. i read u can update debian using gentoo's portages.
regards
zaeem
if it take 20-30 hours... as per u said... and compile 2 GB of source and gave u the binaries.. then i am surprise that compilation of 2 GB source take only 2-30 hours, what i have learn and as per my knowledge "it's not possible", let me clear with an example

I start my first LFS development... it take me... 2-3 days to compile only < 200 MB code and get my Distro in some shape on Pentium III 800 Mhz (Dual processor) with Ultra SCSI II Hard Disks 512 MB RAM

after two and three LFS deployment now i have scripts which automatically run compilation of one after another package source (ofcourse some manual work is necessary). After this i can't achieve less than 16 hrs on above mentioned and Pentium 4 machines also...

Now my LFS Distro took only 10-20 Seconds (Depending only machine) to boot that Distro after i came to bootloader

As per my knowledge Gentoo only compile Kernel and some of it's compilers like gcc (in general installation procedure, ofcourse it gave u the independcy to recompile other packages also during installation but not in case, if u are doing general installation), and install all the binaries it use a quickpkg command to install them...

Can u plz confirm me... is it compile all the packages??? and INSHALLAH sooner i try this Distro myself...

anyway... thx for valuable information

In Distro which available in world market, i seen Vector SOHO using KDE... is a quick, and as far as fastest and quick performace i enjoy on PHALK... i love this Distro (only in these days :lol: )
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
------------------------------------
if
kernel-trap
Havaldaar

Post by kernel-trap »

zaeemarshad wrote:kernel-trap without any fancy kernel hacking added, i think gentoo is the fastest distro on the planet. vector linux is better as well. what do u think about gentoo??

Regards
Zaeem Arshad
Bhai i dont try it yet but i will try that out

Regards