Plz help me choose the right field!!!

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
dawood.muslim
Lance Naik

Plz help me choose the right field!!!

Post by dawood.muslim »

Dear friends,
I am very interested in computer science especially in programming, database, networking and operating system. I have done my FSc(Pre-Eng). Now I want to do BCS from Peshawar University. I have already been selected on the merit list. I just want to ask you guys that what do you think about BCS. Is it really a good start for computer science career. If not than what should I do. What is the other alternative for me who loves computer science.
Thanks
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

if you intend to work as a software developer, you need the skills that employers look for. you're best off with a bachelor's degree in computer science for that.

the second best degree you can try for is mathematics. as edgar dijkstra said:
Programming is one of the most difficult branches of applied mathematics; the poorer mathematicians had better remain pure mathematicians.
two more:
Besides a mathematical inclination, an exceptionally good mastery of ones native tongue is the most vital asset of a competent programmer.
Computer Science is not about computers, any more than astronomy is about telescopes.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
osama
Havaldaar

Post by osama »

Well bachelors in CS is must and best for u if u r eager for things u mentioned. Mathematics and Physics are pre-req for CS and so all essential mathematics and physics subjects will be covered in BCS. BCS is best option.
x2oxen
Major General

Post by x2oxen »

Or you can think about BS (4 Year Program) as well
Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
http://usmanpk.com
mdawoodm
Cadet

Post by mdawoodm »

I think BCS (4 years) is a good move towards the field of computers. And from Peshawar University, that is something special.
Muhammad Dawood
x2oxen
Major General

Post by x2oxen »

why peshawar university is something special and BS in computer sciences can be a good alternative as well.
Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
http://usmanpk.com
kbukhari
Major General

Post by kbukhari »

x2oxen wrote:why peshawar university is something special and BS in computer sciences can be a good alternative as well.
as compare to others Peshawar university is really doing good in computer science..
--
Syed Kashif Ali Bukhari
+92-345-8444420
http://sysadminsline.com
http://kashifbukhari.com
Shaharyar Ahmed Siddiqui
Cadet

Re: Plz help me choose the right field!!!

Post by Shaharyar Ahmed Siddiqui »

dawood.muslim wrote:Dear friends,
I am very interested in computer science especially in programming, database, networking and operating system. I have done my FSc(Pre-Eng). Now I want to do BCS from Peshawar University. I have already been selected on the merit list. I just want to ask you guys that what do you think about BCS. Is it really a good start for computer science career. If not than what should I do. What is the other alternative for me who loves computer science.
Thanks
Ofcourse! it's a good start if you really wanna do sumthing in Computer field but u r supposed to do sum professional courses with it like CCNA, MCSE etc
Always do something for the wellness of menkind.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

Ofcourse! it's a good start if you really wanna do sumthing in Computer field but u r supposed to do sum professional courses with it like CCNA, MCSE etc
not true at all.
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
Shaharyar Ahmed Siddiqui
Cadet

Post by Shaharyar Ahmed Siddiqui »

lambda wrote:
not true at all.
what not true at all? dear
Always do something for the wellness of menkind.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

you don't need certificates.