DSL selection for a small office

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
badshah
Cadet

DSL selection for a small office

Post by badshah »

salaam,
Really grateful to see such a Pakistani forum.
Anyways I need some advice.
Currently i am working in Singapore, however, i am planning to shift to Pakistan and would be setting up a small office. For that I was looking up for service providers, and well i can't just believe my eyes when i look at the prices!
My main usage would be in collaborating with my Singapore office, through CVS repositories and video conferencing, for which I believe 256Kbps line with unlimited usage, should be enough.
I would be very glad if you people could share some information, suggestion and experiences. WOL is providing 256Kbps for 35,000Rs, and cybernet quoted 25,000Rs. These prices are approximately 10-20 times more then the prevalent rates here in Singapore, and are beyond what i can pay.
ideas? suggestions?
thanks heaps
babarhaq
Naik

Post by babarhaq »

Salam Badshah

That is how it is here in Pakistan. You can also visit

www.dols.net.pk
www.dsl.net.pk

Both of them are availabe in islamabad. You can also take a look at satellite connectivity. Thats only for downlink. For upload you will have to choose a wired solution.

Feel free to contact me if you need more info.

Regards,
Babar Haq
Copyleft Solutions
http://www.copyleft.com.pk
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

which city are you moving to? in lahore, you can get a 256kbit dsl link for about rs 8,500 from nexlinx. it's shared, so technically you can get less than 256kbit. in my experience, in a dense part of town (gulberg), you'll get pretty close to the limit (i used to get 243 kbit/sec most of the time.).

there's also worldcall's cable net. if you use it in a residential location, it costs rs 2,500 for a 200kbit link. they have a double bandwidth special offer: pay them for three months in advance, and they'll bring you up to 400 kbit. except...in my experience, sometimes you get closer to 200 kbyte/sec. as far as i can tell, this isn't a configuration error related to my modem or anything -- other people have reported this as well.
badshah
Cadet

Post by badshah »

thanks lambda and babarhaq, Sorry for not mentioning that i live in karachi, F.B. Area.
Up to 8500Rs is bearable, I hope I get some info on karachi DSL services too. From the links provided I have emailed to dancom online. hopefully they would reply soon.

by the way is worldcall's cable net available in karachi?
best regards
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

If you are concerned about quality then get one volume based account of 256 or 512, and use that on need bases and have one shared account / cable net which should be on 24/7. then you can controll your cost as well as quality of service on need basis.

Check Gerrys also at 630 per GB they are bit expensive but service is O.K. Quality will vary from exchange to exchange so best bet is to post the first three/four digits of your telephone number.

Worldcall is in Karachi and also in some parts of F.B Area not sure if it is in the block you are, have to ask world call.

One important thing to remember is you must have more then one link / option, no matter what they say there is going to be a break in service for hours [ ISP's stupidity, PTCL or City Govt digging up Road ] so prepare for that also.

Hope this helps.
Zaheer
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Post by Zaheer »

:roll:
Good Judgement comes from Experience and Experience comes from bad Judgement!!
The more I know, the more I realize I don't know!?
The easiest way to find out is to try Out!!!

Registered Linux user #333501
outhanger
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Post by outhanger »

lambda wrote:i used to get 243 kbit/sec most of the time
How much real download speed does that translate into? 243/8 = 30 KB/sec ? How much volume? 4GB?
"Where blasphemy is a crime, religious freedom does not exist." - Stallman to Musharraf
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

outhanger wrote:How much real download speed does that translate into? 243/8 = 30 KB/sec ? How much volume? 4GB?
yeah, downloads pretty much hovered around 27-29 kbyte/sec. it comes out to roughly a little over 100 mbytes/hour.

there was no volume limit.
badshah
Cadet

Post by badshah »

Well seems like worldcall is the most likely candidate, their 256Kbps seems most reasonable so far, even though it is still quite expensive

http://www.go4b.net.pk/newgo4b/go4b/packages.php

I liked mahin's idea of having two internet connections.
Thanks a lot people, for the many ideas seems like situation is bearable if not really comfortable.
on a side note, i wonder when our dumb governments would realize that economic development is not possible without a proper infrastructure. high speed internet connections, constant electric supply, proper phone system are a must, for any enterprise.
frankly the cost of establishing small business in pakistan is prohibitive at the moment. Why would anyone want to do business in pakistan, when they have to pay exorbitant prices for internet, provide for generators/ ups, pay the thugs, and put up with all other BS. delusions delusions.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

if you want cheap, don't go for cir. most of the time, you won't need a guaranteed 256kbit link, you'll do fine with 240 kbits, or 230. with the cost differential, is cir really worth it?
badshah
Cadet

Post by badshah »

nice suggestion, u r right that constant 256K is not really a necessity. i think the best way would be to get the shared 256K connection, and if the results are satisfactory then stick with it, else move on to CIR.
Abdul Wajid
Lance Naik

Post by Abdul Wajid »

I'm suffering from same situation
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

"suffering"? which situation are you "suffering" from?