successful commercial model for open source projects

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
osmansiddiq
Battalion Havaldaar Major

successful commercial model for open source projects

Post by osmansiddiq »

Most Linux people don't know much about JBoss, the open source firm reported in talks with Oracle about a $400 million purchase. That tops any free software deals I can recall. Novell paid $210 million for SUSE in cash. So, what about this JBoss company? They did it without any initial outside funding, generated revenue and self-funded and stayed true to open source 100% while selling services.
for full article
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/54762/index.html
osmansiddiq
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Post by osmansiddiq »

here,s another blog that caught my attention
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/index.php?p=446

these are just examples of what can be achieved by open source /linux ,so as to keep u inspired ,i,ve got a friend who,s formed a small software house -its windows based ,and whenever i speak of linux/opensource he,s always skeptical -there,s no money in it ,i think if people knew about alternatives they just might go onboard,so if u know about any other good model,idea vision , do post
i,m not a programmer ,just someone whos interested in linux,u can,t be good at everything u might be a good programmer but not a good administrator,u might be good at administration but not a good visionary, i think there should be a thread about business models, ideas ,projects and maybe some good programmer can use it
in another thread i was asking about cctv,its just right for pakistan ,more and more people are asking for security ,even big corporations would be interested in such a thing and the beauty of it is that its low cost modular and non propritary,u can supply it to shops and then charge for maintenance ,the cctv could be linked to an alarm company- if it detects motion it send the viseo stream straight away to the alarm company as well as law enforcement agency, the possibilities are endless
anyway enough of the rant, do let me know of what u think
Apurva
Lance Naik

Post by Apurva »

In my opinion, Linux and open source today practically has all possible alternatives to the proprietory applications.

One of the possible business model is to offer services to the customer leveraging Open Source products. Beautiful example of this is Open Office 2.0 which is a cost effective alternative to Microsoft office on which customer spends huge money.