Mandrake 9.0 available

Moderated forum for posting administrative announcements. Contact moderators for getting posting access.
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Umais wrote:I was just wondering that KC comes out with all the pirated CD's(common in pakistan); so i presume that this CD would also be pirated, as in not endorsed by Mandrake.

Any thoughts on that?
Umair, the CD set was built with the Mandrake official ISOs. The images were compared with the MD5 checksum on the Mandrake site.
The CD set for Redhat 8 went through the same process, plus the installer itself lets you do a check on it.

Both are 100% free software in the sense that you are free to give copies to your peers. Individual software within the distros are obviously governed by their own licenses, but they are all freely redistributable.

The only very minor hitch that might be of interest is that Redhat reflected the idea once that CDs that have not been burned by Redhat itself should not be called Redhat Linux even though they contain Redhat's software because it might give the end user the idea that Redhat supports that CD, which it obviously doesn't (it supports the boxed sets, or if you buy support seperately).
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

fawad wrote:<snip>

The only very minor hitch that might be of interest is that Redhat reflected the idea once that CDs that have not been burned by Redhat itself should not be called Redhat Linux even though they contain Redhat's software because it might give the end user the idea that Redhat supports that CD, which it obviously doesn't (it supports the boxed sets, or if you buy support seperately).
Good! now that you have brought up this subject What should be the next release of Red Hat in Pakistan be called ? We should agree to a standard naming convention viz LinuxPakistan Red Hat x.x or LinuxPakistan Mandrake x.x , LinuxPakistan Knoppix etc.

This is relevent now as we are making available most if not all distros and people would be exposed to these names for the first time. We might as well do the right thing from start.

Please shall we move this to a new thread? If you do then quote this in full and post your comments so that full context is present with in that thread.
javedlodhi
Cadet

Mandrake 9.0 tested.

Post by javedlodhi »

I tested the final release of Mandrake 9.0 No wonder it is as wonderful as expected that comes with every utlilty that you can think of, but I for some reason didn't find it very attractive as compared to RH 8. I heard that RH 9 was soon to be released and I am more anxiously waiting for that to be much better. Personally! I would suggest that if you are a working professional, go for SuSe or RH.
But as a whole, Mandrake 9.0 is awesome if you are to use it personally. Must give it a try,so that you can feel the need, the need for processing speed. Gear up and get your copy now! :wink: :arrow:
urashid
Cadet

Post by urashid »

well Guys mandrake 9.1 is out with new features.. kde 3.1 is exellent ... further easy to configure with drake..

I aslo downloaded knoppix 3.2 it is the best distro i have ever used..
It includes

KDE 3.1.1
XSERVER 4.3
GIMP
XMMS
XINE

And the best thing is it runs 2 gb software from a single cd....
they have autoconfiguration tool..
I have tested it on
Pentium III 500 mhz, riva tnt, riva tnt2, conexant modem.
Pentium IV 1.7 ghz, nvidia gforce 2, rockwell modem
Amd K6
and
Amd Athlon xp

and all gave me best per formence..........
With knoppix no harddrive is required no INSTALLATION...
i HAVE
DEBIAN WOODY 3.0 STABLE
KNOPPIX 3.2
EMAIL me at umairrashid@hotmail.com if you wont a cd.....
Enjoy the life with Linux
kadnan
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

what about Mandrake 9.1

Post by kadnan »

i just learnt the lesson then that "Always visit LP site first or contact tariq saab before buying any Open source related CD" (see my other thread 'redhat Cd corruption') <:

-i called mr Amir this evening and asked him about mandrake 9.1 he told em that I should have wait for 2/3 weeks,i think contacting amir saab or emailing @pakban is same.. nah??
mahin
Major

Mandrake 9.1

Post by mahin »

My appologies for delay in release of Mandrake 9.1 as I am not in Karachi [ have to work for living :) ] but if any one needs urgently can contact cd@linux.net.pk and we will find a way to help.

We are still working on putting up a proper on-line store and provide info through PLUC wiki. Please always check PLUC wiki to see what we have before you download and if you do download do share with others :) by sending a message to cd@linux.net.pk
farhanksa
Subedar

does pluc also released

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
i have seen winlinux and demo linux ..was it released by pluc ??
i mean pakban?
mahin
Major

does pluc also released

Post by mahin »

Win Linux PLUC did not released.

Demo Linux was released by another distributor [ who does not wants to reveal their identity for their own reasons ] based upon PLUC CDR. We received them direct from INRIA - France.

You can verify if any thing is released by PLUC or not by simply checking our software link. Any pressed CD based upon source material provided by PLUC is also offered as CDR. Though no point in having them as Pressed CD's are cheap and convinient and are identical. Hope this helps!
farhanksa
Subedar

Post by farhanksa »

cant understand???
You can verify if any thing is released by PLUC or not by simply checking our software link. Any pressed CD based upon source material provided by PLUC is also offered as CDR. Though no point in having them as Pressed CD's are cheap and convinient and
are identical. Hope this helps!
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

farhanksa,
It means that all CDs released by Mr. Tariq's people are listed on the 'Get Software' page at the linuxpakistan website. They are putting special numbers on each CD package they put out that you can use to see if the CD is distributed by them or some other org.
farhanksa
Subedar

i have also seen some cdr

Post by farhanksa »

aoa

i have seen some cd's sp rh9 which r available on cdr which r not being released by mr.Mahin... is ther any other group releasing those cdr in the market.. i have also seen rh9 3cds with linuxpakistn logo and serial#
zaidi
Cadet

Post by zaidi »

Salam Alaikum

I wish I was in Pakistan to get hand to this CD.

(By the way, which Urdu Font is it using? As far as I knew, only "ClearlyU" font was compatible for Urdu (and that also got problems to show "Noon Ghunna".

Secondly, if Urdu keyboard is also available in this version???

=================

One strange thing was this that Knoppix Web browser showed Urdu Webpages corretly (like BBC Urdu Section).

I want to know if this version can also show Urdu WEbpages without any problem?????

Was Salam.
mohsin-MM
Cadet

so finally mandrake's new version

Post by mohsin-MM »

well its good to have urdu version ..

well i dint try but will try for sure .. dont wana ask untill i got some problem :)
:: ITS NOT NECCASSARY TO ALWAYS LIVE AS A MASTER BUT JACK IS A VERY USEFULL TOO ::