Desperately Need Help in LINUX..Help needed ?

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.
usman_madni
Cadet

Desperately Need Help in LINUX..Help needed ?

Post by usman_madni »

hey people on this forum,

Well actually this is my first post on the forum as i have been given the honour of being registered with this forum environment.Yaar i despecrately need help...believe me...! :? :?: ...and i will be much thankful to anyone who can help me in this regard.....My explicitly defined questions/queries are as under regarding LINUX:-

I am using RED HAT LINUX 9 (SHRIKE 10)

QS1) We have been given the project of developing Voice communications over LAN ,specifically over any PLATFORM OR LANGUAGE,but the final product HAS TO RUN IN LINUX,in other words it should be PORTABLE TO THE LINUX ENVIRONMENT AT THE END?....So Please tell me which is the BEST LANGUAGE for developing my project and then transferring it to LINUX?..remember that my project is VOICE COMMUNICATIONS OVER LAN.that encodes voice signals into digital signals. :) .
People can recommend their own projects workable in LINUX ,but they have to be all concerned with Networking .

QS2) SEcondly please guys tell me what is this MONO technology for LINUX? How can i download it ? and what does it provides me with ? Is it available in the market freely or is a licensed software ?....In short is there a .NET FRAMEWORK TECHNOLOGY for LINUX?

QS3) Thirdly how to use JAVA in LINUX ?.....Please tell me what to download ? How to configure it ? and which JDK is the best to run in the LINUX environment. ?

QS4) Fourthly i have a soundcard namely "SOUNDMAX Integrated Digital Audio ", manufactured by ANALOG deveices ,but i don't have the device drivers for it in LINUX,Can anyone please tell me where i can find its drivers for linux ?

Pleaseeeeeeee i will be much thankful to anyone who can please help me in this regard ,as i desperately need at least a guideline or some path of action for carrying out my steps in LINUX.

Usman
Don't trust anybody!
tt83x
Cadet

Post by tt83x »

your questions answered in order are :

you can work on perl / python / c . But i recommend using JAVA. because you wont have any portability issues. moreover it is a very beautiful high level, type safe and EASY language. it DOES have some performance issues in comparison with other compiled languages like c/ c++.
Sun provides Java Media Framework (JMF) for developing multimedia applications in Java. Im using it in my project and am pretty happy with its results.. Im making a SIP based IP call recorder.

Mono is an open source platform implementation for running and developing .NET and Java applications on *nix. you can find more info abt it at

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
u might also wanna try out the DotGNU project
http://www.dotgnu.org/

both of these are open source and free. probably you wont find them on any cds in the local market. you'll have to download them

for using Java in linux. the easiest way is to get an SDK (download SUN JDK 1.5 for linux) and a good IDE .. IntelliJ is a good one. Eclipse (eclipse.org) is one more good open source IDE.
Anjum Butt
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by Anjum Butt »

I'm working on the same project using mono, how ever, mono is still not complete enough, atleast from the point i am seeing it.

If you are considering Java, I'd recommend NetBeans IDE, its available from sun's site and is free and most functional. You can get a J2SDK+NetBeans bundle from there.
More will follow :)

Anjum Butt
Registered Linux User #314299
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear usman_madni,
Salam,

QS3) Thirdly how to use JAVA in LINUX ?.....Please tell me what to download ? How to configure it ? and which JDK is the best to run in the LINUX environment. ?

Check this out

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/install-linux.html
http://home.bredband.no/gaulyk/java/tut ... edhat.html

QS4) Fourthly i have a soundcard namely "SOUNDMAX Integrated Digital Audio ", manufactured by ANALOG deveices ,but i don't have the device drivers for it in LINUX,Can anyone please tell me where i can find its drivers for linux ?

What does lspci tell you about audio devices?

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
usman_madni
Cadet

Post by usman_madni »

I will be really helpful again to anyone on the forum message board itself if somone can please post the name of any good JAVA concerned book,necessary to implement and also sufficient to implement the ABOVE MENTIONED PROJECT easily in the LINUX ENVIRONMENT....any good conecerned JAVA conecerned book thats is for LINUX environment
I will be much thankful again. :) :idea: usman
Don't trust anybody!
MAJID
Naik

Post by MAJID »

Java™ Application Development on Linux®
By Carl Albing, Michael Schwarz

Publisher : Prentice Hall PTR
Pub Date : November 22, 2004
ISBN : 0-13-143697-X
Pages : 600
01101101 01100001 01101010 01101001 01100100
MAJID
Naik

Post by MAJID »

If you are using INTEL's motherboard then go to the Intel website and support for your motherboard.
Driver for LINUX are available there.

If you are not using intel then
http://www.alsa-project.org/

Download the latest driver install it
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/
01101101 01100001 01101010 01101001 01100100