What about Java5?

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.
n3m3sis
Havaldaar

What about Java5?

Post by n3m3sis »

Hi all,

Sun recently released a much awaited update to the Java language. Now it said to be at par with C#.NET
Check the Corresponding slashdot discussion:
http://it.slashdot.org/it/04/10/11/1454 ... =108&tid=8

What do you think will be the effect on open source adoption, if java is open sourced, and what effect will this release have on .NET, will it surpass it?

I think java5 is gr8, in the sense that whatever you can do in .NET you can in java and that with similar methods. But the singular advantage of Java is that you can have all .NET features in your program and that too while remaining cross-platform independant. That counts I think.
lambda
Major General

Re: What about Java5?

Post by lambda »

n3m3sis wrote:What do you think will be the effect on open source adoption, if java is open sourced, and what effect will this release have on .NET, will it surpass it?
why should java be open sourced?
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

at least there is mono, for a java hater such as me.
jargon
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

jargon!

i have just dipped my toes in the java world. I would really appreciate if you would tell me the reasons to switch to mono. I am personally interested in Personal Java or J2ME. I dont have a clue as to how mono is able to compete with java in this dimension or am I just comparing them in the wrong dimension?

Regards
Zaeem
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

zaeemarshad wrote:jargon!

i have just dipped my toes in the java world. I would really appreciate if you would tell me the reasons to switch to mono. I am personally interested in Personal Java or J2ME. I dont have a clue as to how mono is able to compete with java in this dimension or am I just comparing them in the wrong dimension?

Regards
Zaeem
I just have an inate hatred for Sun, because of their business practices (Damn you Schwartz!). Mono is the linux implementation of the CLR for .NET, its pretty complete, also runs on Windows and OSX. But you may have a reason to stay w/ Java, perhaps for work, etc... Your comparison would still be .NET vs Java , minus some .NET features. But I'm not speaking in the work-sense, more of hobby programming.
http://www.go-mono.org
jargon
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

Personaly i cant give a try to MONO rightnow for a production environment, i am managing a development of an ERP from last 1 year based on JAVA/PostgreSQL, never found anything problematic yet. I think there are some issues in MONO as far as cross-platform execution is concerned. JAVA is much more mature then MONO.
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

Jargon is pretty accurate in saying it should be .NET vs Mono. Java caters with a different breed of problems as well. Though an article forced me to consider taking a look at python and sajjad zaidi programs in Python as well :) . So i am thinking about learning a bit of python as well. Mono is never gonna be a problem i think. We have got Fawad at our side. :)

Cheers
Zaeem
n3m3sis
Havaldaar

Post by n3m3sis »

Mono is the linux implementation of the CLR for .NET, its pretty complete, also runs on Windows and OSX
Not without Windows.Forms support which is due late 2005!
Currently you can only do web-programming and shell programming with it.

Whereas java development kit for Linux is complete.
n3m3sis
Havaldaar

Post by n3m3sis »

Mono is the linux implementation of the CLR for .NET, its pretty complete, also runs on Windows and OSX
Not without Windows.Forms support which is due late 2005!
Currently you can only do web-programming and shell programming with it.

Whereas java development kit for Linux is complete.
whizkid
Cadet

There is an alternative to Mono

Post by whizkid »

DotGNU supports Windows Forms... please look at the snapshots.

http://www.dotgnu.org/pnet.html
http://www.dotgnu.org/screenshots.html
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Like I mentioned, it depends on what you're doing with it. My work is mostly involved with the business logic and web services, so mono works as well as .NET proper for me.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

i'll second whizkid's recommendation of portable.net.
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum,

Can we divide these languages in two groups ? one most suitable for desktop applications & two most suitable for web applications.

If we do so I will go for php (after php5 it is a must - as it now has a better suppor for OO & XML) in web applications group. What do you ppl say ?

As far as python is concerned (for both groups) I think as it is a pure open source OO language, I will go for it in the OO world (i may not go for mono or java)

-Meraj
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

AOA Meraj,
Java, .NET/mono and PHP satisfy different audiences. Java and .NET are layered systems, where the presentation of the application (web, thick client, RMI, etc.) are just a layer. They aren't suited for one delivery mechanism over another. PHP has an affinity towards the web, which makes it more suitable for web apps (though other interfaces like gtk+ bindings exist.

That said, the choice of a tool is really dependent on the application scenario. Creating a guestbook page for your personal website? Use PHP. Creating the next amazon.com? Use Java/.NET.
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

Hi all,

What programming language you use if you are going to write a desktop application (Inventory, Accounts, HR/Payroll etc etc) with mixed clients using Linux, Windows?
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?