Any Kylix users around

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.
Tauseef
Naik

Any Kylix users around

Post by Tauseef »

I am surprised ( and excited too ) to see so much activity on Linux in Pakistan.

Are there any Borland Kylix users around here aswell ??

Warm regards

tauseef
Adnan Siddiqi

Post by Adnan Siddiqi »

helo
I did install Kylix(Open Edition) and did some programming too but coudnt get serious about it because Free Editiion was not a full version,meant you coudn`t write SQL based appications,net based apps etc etc
they don`t provide CLX with free edition ,get FREECLX from sf.net and use that

Between why are you going for kylix? got complete version(not open edition)? if yes then send me too;)
-adnan
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

Hi! The main reason is that I am basically a Delphi Developer. Moving to Linux would not be so easy if I did not have Kylix.

It makes developing client server applications or Apache DSOs easier than you can even imagine.

Combine that with cross-platform capability with Windows. Imagine that you can develop and test applications on Linux and then deploy on both Windows (by recompiling your code with Delphi) and Linux !

I live in Rawalpindi. Where are you located ?

Tauseef
Adnan Siddiqi

Post by Adnan Siddiqi »

I`m in Karachi
yeah you are right Kylix is a superb product for Linux but NOT free at all.

not even DSOs you may even write .net/j2ee and mobile apps in kylix
very nice stuff
you got Kylix Open Edition or bought one in $250:>
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

I have the original version.

If you want the the easy transition into Linux community, try FreePascal with lazarus from http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org

It is limited as compared to Kylix but a free tool that is trying to become the Open source alternative for Kylix. Though it is in early stages of development, you can still enjoy the ease of development with it. The code is very similar to Delphi.....

You can download it form
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org

Tauseef
Adnan Siddiqi

Post by Adnan Siddiqi »

you spent $250?really?
what are you waiting for? send me a copy(free of cost) :P
digitalsurgeon
Naik

Post by digitalsurgeon »

Kylix is great :D i've downloaded kylix 3 open edition and it'c much better then previous one though there are a lot of limitation but these can be overcommed
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

I've got a question for you Kylix guys. How does the app distribution for Kylix work? Does Kylix provide a facility for compiling the application? I mean something like the way KDevelop provides autoconf and automake scripts and lets you create RPMs from within the IDE.
digitalsurgeon
Naik

Post by digitalsurgeon »

i don;t think kylix open edition provides distribution functionality !