Slashdot | Getting Started in Network Security?

Protecting your Linux box
nafri
Lance Naik

Slashdot | Getting Started in Network Security?

Post by nafri »

on the slashdot an interesting thread on netwrok security has started on 25 may 2003. check http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/03/ ... 26&tid=172

the thread is becoming a good reference point (interesting books, mailing lists, websites, etc. have been mentioned), as well as generating debate on good practices in network security.

for a pakistani context, and as a starting point on our PLUC forum, it would be interesting to learn if systems are updated and patches are applied in corporate and academic settings here.

it would also be interesting to learn how the top-management in pakistani organisations view network security. and how sysadmins, our heroes, deal with it.

irfan
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re : Security

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Irfan,
Thanks but No one can claim that his network is secure even NASA as well as Swis Bank there is 20 % Money for Hackers they said attack and get your money if you can. and for Security www.linuxsecurity.com is the best site and about latest vlun try www.cert.org
Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
xman
Cadet

Post by xman »

I concur with LinuxFreak, there's no such thing as a 'unbreakable network' .. in my opinion the most secure network is the one that is powered off :lol:

btw, http://www.hatsecurity.com is not bad that bad too :D
Mumtaz
Cadet

Post by Mumtaz »

I work for a small company. We use Smooth Wall GPL (free version) on a computer hard disk to act as a Firewall for our network. My boss's laptop has Zone Alarm, but that laptop has Windows XP.

I am a database programmer. So I am not knowledgeable about Linux and Security :? . I am learning.

:)