low maintainance neiborhood network

Protecting your Linux box
metalione
Lance Naik

low maintainance neiborhood network

Post by metalione »

hi all

first of let me tell you that i am just a linux enthusiast, not a technical geek.

my neiborhood cable net is pathetic. broadband key naam pey dhabba! :x i want dsl but thats way too expensive. so i thought i should share the cost and benefits with a few of my neibors. none of them are technical persons.

after discussing it with my neihbors the project seems financially feasible. we have 6 users ready for it.

so what i want to ask is .... is it possible to create a low maintainance network of the above specs... and make it secure too

thanks
Farhan
barlas
Naib Subedar

Re: low maintainance neiborhood network

Post by barlas »

Asalaam-u-Alikum!
metalione wrote:is it possible to create a low maintainance network of the above specs... and make it secure too
AFAIK it is possible to make a network of these specs and it can also be made secure. :)

Regards
Barlas
Aqeel Zafar
metalione
Lance Naik

Post by metalione »

thanks ... but can you be more specific ...

what need i know ... where to look for answers ... any pointers to articles, howtos ... would be helpful

Farhan Ali
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

for this i guess you should tell us about yourself i mean your technical skills regardless of operating system and other related stuff.
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
metalione
Lance Naik

Post by metalione »

ok...

i have been using pc since the xt days... not much just word processors and spreadsheets... i first experimented with linux in 97 ... but droped it as it was not a viable desktop option at that time ... i installed redhat 4.2 then slackware then caldera (remember caldera :) ) then i went back to win95 ... i was studying in those days so i had a lot of time

later from redhat 7.2 i started using linux as my second os... being the oldest ms windows hater that was, i was very happy with the developement of linux as an alternate. lately i have been thinking of switching completely to linux... if i get a few of my desktop apps working in wine, i guess i will trash windows altogether.

i can compile install and tweak the apps ... i know a little perl, C++... just enough to call me an enthusiast ... but by profession i am a financial analyst ...

i think that will give you a little idea as to where i stand... being in this profession i dont have much time to spare for my neiborhood network, but i just need a faster internet at home :!:

what i want is to set up a system and give not more than 2-3 hrs a weak to maintain the network. and i want the uptime of network to be 95% at least.

please help
Farhan