A little humour :)

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Re: i don't see it as much of a problem

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,
lambda wrote:but then, whenever an isp contacts me about short-term work to fix up their servers, i charge rs 600/hr. that's way less than their downtime costs them.
u need to charge more... and gave them required services... but problems... they (ISPs) don't want to pay their employee which ofcourse regular base payment but... Permanent Employee is the total solution for ISPs... not instead of hiring a person and get some fixes...
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
------------------------------------
if
mahin
Major

Re:

Post by mahin »

LinuxFreaK wrote:have to do alots if efforts to teach Peoples Linux and i have a Great Idea from which we can teach ISP's Technical Support Peoples.... If Our Top 10 Poster Will Agreee.....
Please be my guest :)
lambda
Major General

Re: i don't see it as much of a problem

Post by lambda »

if wrote:u need to charge more... and gave them required services...
i give them what they want at a rate low enough that they keep coming back. that's good enough for me.
but problems... they (ISPs) don't want to pay their employee which ofcourse regular base payment but... Permanent Employee is the total solution for ISPs... not instead of hiring a person and get some fixes...
i've been offered work at an isp for 25,000/mo, five days a week, etc. i didn't like how the owners were running things, so i never joined.

personally, i think most sysadmin jobs in pakistan are dead-end jobs, isp or otherwise.
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear All PLUCian's
Salam,

As Far As i sw the post @ Connectiong Linux throught your ISP then i like to give you little script which will help every one also a Newbies to Connect their Linux Machine with their ISP's with in a minute....

Requirment:
1. Modem is Installed
2. KPPP is Installed

Kppp is basically an application made for KDE, to connect to the Internet using PPP. The reason for this document is because a lot of ISP's do not want you to connect to them using Linux (silly really), and it can be frustrating if you don't know if they are using CHAP/PAP etc. kppp can be download here http://devel-home.kde.org/~kppp/index.html and the instructions to install it are at that page too. The information stored for your ISP that is used in kppp is stored in ~/.kde/share/config/kppprc

Here is the Example KPPP Config File.

Code: Select all

# KDE Config File
Name=
[Account0]
TotalBytes=0
AutoName=0
ExDNSDisabled=1
ScriptArguments=,ame:,CIS,ID:,999999\\,9999/noint/go:pppconnect,word:,,
AccountingEnabled=0
Phonenumber=13178603 ( Your ISP UIN )
TotalCosts=
IPAddr=0.0.0.0
Name=CubeXS ( Your ISP Name )
Domain=
VolumeAccountingEnabled=0
pppdArguments=-detach,defaultroute,noipdefault,passive,
Password= ******* ( Your Password )
Command=
ScriptCommands=Send,Expect,Send,Expect,Send,Expect,Password,
Authentication=2
SubnetMask=0.0.0.0
DNS=202.63.192.012,202.63.192.013, ( Your ISP DNS Servers )
AccountingFile=
DefaultRoute=1
Username= ******* ( Your User Name )
StorePassword=1
Gateway=0.0.0.0
DisconnectCommand=
[Modem]
BusyWait=0
NoDialToneResp=NO DIALTONE
InitDelay=1
ConnectResponse=CONNECT
Enter=CR/LF
FlowControl=CRTSCTS
InitString=ATZ
HangupString=+++ATH
Timeout=60
InitResponse=OK
DialString=ATDT
UseCDLine=0
EscapeString=+++
Device=/dev/modem
NoCarrierResponse=NO CARRIER
BusyResponse=BUSY
Lockfile=/var/lock/LCK..modem
EscapeGuardTime=50
Speed=38400
[General]
QuitOnDisconnect=0
ShowLogWindow=0
DisconnectOnXServerExit=1
DefaultAccount=CubeXS ( Your Default ISP Name, In Case You have More then one ISP Account )
iconifyOnConnect=1
AutomaticRedial=0
NumberOfAccounts=1
ShowClock=1
DockIntoPanel=0
pppdTimeout=30
All you have to do is copy the text and paste it into your ~/.kde/share/config/kppprc. Edit the file for your additional information ie login/pass, Modem etc

Remember kppp is one way to connect to Internet, but I would try connecting with scripts like ppp-up or using netcfg first.
Farrukh Ahmed
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Re:

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Nice, but it would be much better and much easier for newbies to create a connection manually with kppp, rather than messing their kppp script.

Also some strings like Flow Control etc vary from user to user/ connection to connection.

Kppp is gui based, and its really easy to create a connection with it.

My recommendation:

No need to use the script.Just create a connection manually with the gui based KPPP tool, which will auto generate the script for ya.

Also there are many other tools to connect to the internet thru PPP as well like the redhat-config-network in redhat, gtkdial and lots more.

Also, when someone wishes to use the internet on linux using a dial up modem, the first step is to make sure that his kernel has Point to POint (PPP) support.Most kernels that come on most distros by default have that support.

The next step is to configure and install the modem.
Most distros do configure and install the modem by default.
If the distro doesnt do that, you can do it manually.

The last step is to select and use a PPP tool like KPPP or wvdial etc to connect to the internet finally.

Then ofcourse you need a webbrowser like mozilla or opera to surf the web.You can use a software like Gaim r Amsn for Instant messaginag and a tool like Downloader 4 X as download manager.
LinuxFreaK wrote:Dear All PLUCian's
Salam,

As Far As i sw the post @ Connectiong Linux throught your ISP then i like to give you little script which will help every one also a Newbies to Connect their Linux Machine with their ISP's with in a minute....

Requirment:
1. Modem is Installed
2. KPPP is Installed

Kppp is basically an application made for KDE, to connect to the Internet using PPP. The reason for this document is because a lot of ISP's do not want you to connect to them using Linux (silly really), and it can be frustrating if you don't know if they are using CHAP/PAP etc. kppp can be download here http://devel-home.kde.org/~kppp/index.html and the instructions to install it are at that page too. The information stored for your ISP that is used in kppp is stored in ~/.kde/share/config/kppprc

Here is the Example KPPP Config File.

Code: Select all

# KDE Config File
Name=
[Account0]
TotalBytes=0
AutoName=0
ExDNSDisabled=1
ScriptArguments=,ame:,CIS,ID:,999999\\,9999/noint/go:pppconnect,word:,,
AccountingEnabled=0
Phonenumber=13178603 ( Your ISP UIN )
TotalCosts=
IPAddr=0.0.0.0
Name=CubeXS ( Your ISP Name )
Domain=
VolumeAccountingEnabled=0
pppdArguments=-detach,defaultroute,noipdefault,passive,
Password= ******* ( Your Password )
Command=
ScriptCommands=Send,Expect,Send,Expect,Send,Expect,Password,
Authentication=2
SubnetMask=0.0.0.0
DNS=202.63.192.012,202.63.192.013, ( Your ISP DNS Servers )
AccountingFile=
DefaultRoute=1
Username= ******* ( Your User Name )
StorePassword=1
Gateway=0.0.0.0
DisconnectCommand=
[Modem]
BusyWait=0
NoDialToneResp=NO DIALTONE
InitDelay=1
ConnectResponse=CONNECT
Enter=CR/LF
FlowControl=CRTSCTS
InitString=ATZ
HangupString=+++ATH
Timeout=60
InitResponse=OK
DialString=ATDT
UseCDLine=0
EscapeString=+++
Device=/dev/modem
NoCarrierResponse=NO CARRIER
BusyResponse=BUSY
Lockfile=/var/lock/LCK..modem
EscapeGuardTime=50
Speed=38400
[General]
QuitOnDisconnect=0
ShowLogWindow=0
DisconnectOnXServerExit=1
DefaultAccount=CubeXS ( Your Default ISP Name, In Case You have More then one ISP Account )
iconifyOnConnect=1
AutomaticRedial=0
NumberOfAccounts=1
ShowClock=1
DockIntoPanel=0
pppdTimeout=30
All you have to do is copy the text and paste it into your ~/.kde/share/config/kppprc. Edit the file for your additional information ie login/pass, Modem etc

Remember kppp is one way to connect to Internet, but I would try connecting with scripts like ppp-up or using netcfg first.
Last edited by Faraz.Fazil on Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux for Life!
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Faraz.Fazil,
Salam,
Nice, but it would be much better and much easier for newbies to create a connection manually with kppp, rather than messing their kppp script.

I agree with you and i am creating a step by step with screen shots howto or KPPP and INSAHALLAH soon i will post the link @ LinuxPakistan Forum.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Re:

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Ok good, but I think KPPP is really easy to use, and no additional howto is required.

Also already lots of documentation is already available on KPPP.

The kppp Handbook. is a very good source of information for newbies and is accessible via the Help button.

Anywayz, go ahead if you want and , thanx for your time.
LinuxFreaK wrote:Dear Faraz.Fazil,
Salam,

I agree with you and i am creating a step by step with screen shots howto or KPPP and INSAHALLAH soon i will post the link @ LinuxPakistan Forum.

Best Regards.
Linux for Life!