Free openSuse 10.2 DVDs

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
n3m3sis
Havaldaar

Free openSuse 10.2 DVDs

Post by n3m3sis »

AOA,

last week I downloaded openSUSE 10.2 and installed in my laptop, to my utter surprise, openSUSE supported and configured ALL hardware I had, and its a wonderfully integrated distro which is fun to use. Not many people in Pakistan know about it. So what I want to do is that I'll write 20-50 DVDs (depending on interest) and post them to people in Pakistan, the focus will be on new linux users and those with an interest to spread the distro amongst their friends.

If you are interested in getting a copy mail me the postal address to freeSuse@phantomos.org

Regards,
Irfan
my Blog: irfanhabib.wordpress.com
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

isn't that a little misleading? opensuse did not detect and let you use your modem.

i installed ubuntu 6.10 on a dell last month. the only two modifications i had to make was to add a line to /etc/modules to make it load the wifi device driver on boot, and to run a program to set the modes properly for the x window system (the bios reported an incorrect display size). the latter was only necessary because it had a weird display size (1280x900 or something).

i installed ubuntu 5.10 (and upgraded to 6.10) on a thinkpad earlier this year. i didn't have to do either of the above steps.

of course, i've had the same modem problem on the thinkpad. i haven't tried to use the dell's modem, so i don't know about that.
n3m3sis
Havaldaar

Post by n3m3sis »

No, Suse 10.2 had no problem with the hardware on a dell inspiron. 1280x800 is actually default for wide-screen displays, Wifi, bluetooth, firewire, MMC/SD card reader, sound card, graphic card etc. everything auto-detected.
I also installed Suse 10.2 in my desktop, and again had no problem with the hardware. I really hate Ubuntu because of its GNOME centric view. To Quote Linus Torvalds:

" personally just encourage people to switch to KDE.

This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of
Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will
use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long
since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.

Please, just tell people to use KDE.

Linus"

Let me share here the modem used in Dell Inspiron will not work under ANY distro. Because the manufacturer Connexant only supports Windows and many of my friends unfortunately have Connexant's chip in their internal modems. But the modem is pretty irrelevant to me (I use dsl).
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

n3m3sis wrote:I really hate Ubuntu because of its GNOME centric view.
it's not. just grab kubuntu instead, or use the apt-get tools on ubuntu to install "kde". kubuntu is ubuntu with kde as the desktop -- ubuntu minus the gnome debs plus the kde debs. nothing gnome-centric about it.

besides, it's not as if you don't get gnome with opensuse. you just get a choice up front which one to use. just as you get a choice whether to grab ubuntu or kubuntu.
To Quote Linus Torvalds:
thanks, but i'll use what works for me, not what someone else likes. (for the record, i don't use either gnome or kde on my work machine.)
kashif
Naib Subedar

Post by kashif »

Assalam 0 alaikum n3m3sis!!!

Thanks for you suggestions

I like most kde then gnome .So I am using Kbuntu from one and half year on my pc and happy with it.
I also uses Opensuse on my system.It is also very impressive.

But one major porblem which I feel with opensuse is Its Yast Online repositired does not work very well.And most of the time I am unable to get packages from repositries.

But Kubuntu rocks in this step. I have configured lot of repositreis in it and never face any problem to install any software through apt-get command.

Thanks
Allah Hafiz

As-Salaatu was-Salaamu Alaika Ya Sayyidi Ya Rasool ALLAH

n3m3sis
Havaldaar

Post by n3m3sis »

@lambda

Of course I know about kubuntu, I was talking about "ubuntu" and there is no denying that it is a gnome centric distro.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

yes, i'm sure you meant ubuntu. however, it's puzzling that you continue to distinguish between ubuntu and kubuntu, and rant about ubuntu's gnome desktop. when i said "ubuntu", i meant "ubuntu or kubuntu or xubuntu", because the only thing different in all three is the user environment under x; they will all detect devices on your laptop equally well (or badly, as the case may be).
phoenix
Havaldaar

Post by phoenix »

@n3m3sis

Loved your blog...
__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/
Pakistan - Kashmir
__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/
kbukhari
Major General

Post by kbukhari »

dear n3m3sis
I appreciate your effort for those poor Linux users who can't access the high speed internet and have limited resource your effort will encourage them to do something.
--
Syed Kashif Ali Bukhari
+92-345-8444420
http://sysadminsline.com
http://kashifbukhari.com