Mirror Port

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Mirror Port

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

Is any body tell me how to create/configure mirror port at any switch... kindly any manual / guideline or tip... thx...
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
if
farhanksa
Subedar

wt kind of switch

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
how r u if bhai..
wt u want to pls explain...which switch u want to configure..
pl explain a bit of ur question..inshalah i will try my best to hlp u
if

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

in case of hub it broadcast all packets to all port
in case of switch it send packets only to particular port

But switches've facility to create a mirror (in other word a broadcast packet receiving) port from any of the port... where all packets will come... (like a boardcast function of hub) but limit is this that only one mirror port can be create/configured on switch... i need to configure/create that mirror port...
please guide me... thx
if
farhanksa
Subedar

still unclear

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
u r rite that switch unicasts...but switch all ports r capable to receive the broadcast message..
actua;;y the situaltion is that till the switch come to know all the MAC addresses of the lan cards of the pc in the network ..it broadcasts the packet..when the receiver receives .it sends the acknowledgement .. as a result the sender and the acknowlegement(repiler )addresses had been learnt by the switch..
so there is a concept of VLAN in configurable switch..
these kind of switches can be configured ...means there can be logicall networks of (2 or all ports) 1 vlan cannot talk to the other vlan as it would be a seprate network even though its on the same switch...it act as a seprate broadcast domain....means a broadcast of 1 vlan cannot be sent to ports of other vlan..each v lan will act as a seprate network ...and to communicate between different network u have to place a router in between them...it might be a physical router machine or a pc haveing the lancard belong to 2 different network...
and if vlan is on more than 1 switch we can intercommunicate between vlan1 v1 on first switch and v1 on the second switch
by joining both vlan by a cross cable (for each vlan u need a seprate cross cable) but to save a port we configure a TRUNK or vlan trunk port on a switch..whose work is to take data of all vlans to other switch
to configure a vlan ur switch must be configureble (it must have a db15 or db25 or configuration port and using ur pc serial db9 or db25 port u can telnet the switch)or in case of windows u can use the hyper terminal
if

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

farhan... i'm looking for PORT MIRRORING technique.... some port mirroring detail is as under

Port Mirroring :

:arrow: Port Mirroring copies all received and transmitted packets (including local traffic) from a source to a predefined destination port, in addition to the normal destination port of the packets. Port Mirroring, also known as "sniffing" is useful in debugging problems.

:arrow: Port mirroring enables the network manager to define a source port and a destination port, regardless of port type. For example, a 10Mbps and a 100Mbps port can form a valid source/destination pair. In addition, it allows a single pair of ports in the to be defined as a port duplicate pair. The network manager cannot, however define the port mirroring source and destination ports as the same port.

i hope u got my point... thx
please guide me... thx
if