million dolloar question

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
mahin
Major

Re: installing mandrake

Post by mahin »

new guy wrote:The specs on my computer is Pentium III, 733, 40GB, got an external U.S Robotics ....<snip>..... Plus, is rainbow the only place to get our distros?

Thanks guys.
Your system spec's are such that you should not have any problem. Could you give bit more details ? How you have partioned your HD with how much RAM [ just curious :) want to be sure you are not trying with less then 32MB - in that case I do not know :) ] and where you were trying to install Mandrake ? Were you trying with Mandrake 9.0 or 8.2?

Rainbow is nearest for you alternate will be PLUC office and God willing in next few days a shop+webcafe+Bookshop at Haidery North Nazimabad will also have them.

You have a fine machine and are just un-lucky in being stuck, no need to panic. Will it be possible for you to back-up the data you have on your Hard Disk and format that HD ? If you could do that then there should not be any problem.

In case you had formated the entire HD and then installed XP with no problem then very little chance that there is any Hardware issue.

What CD's you are using ? Do they have mark " KC CD" or "KC 2001" on them ?

I suspect you may have bad CD but then system will give a warning.

All you need to do is try once more on your own, note the steps you are taking in installation and note down any error messages / warnings you see [ if you are still un-lucky :) ] note them down word for word and post here.

If you prefer send me your phone number through private message along with indication of good time to call you. I am quite certain that you do not need any help from us as you could solve this problem on your own. Just relax and Good luck!
farhanksa
Subedar

iot all depends wt u like

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
i hered that debane is a big giant
it alldepends on u wt u like and wt u want to use.
free bsd is also good. if u ask ppl for the choice all may have different choice .so its better that u chose ur self:)
bye bye tc aoa
umro_ayyar
Cadet

Post by umro_ayyar »

freebsd rocks. on my celeron 400 it boots up in less than 20 seconds and takes another 15 seconds to start kde.

compared to RH8 which takes forever to bootup on my poor celeron.
Linus is user friendly; it's just picky about its friends